Most dentists agree that brushing and flossing your teeth daily are essential hygiene habits for combatting poor oral health. However, rinsing with mouthwash has never truly been considered in the same group of oral health fighting habits. The reason is because so many mouthwashes only provide a rinse, and don’t actively fight bacteria in your mouth. It is important to consult with your dentist to determine which product is right for you.
Below is a list of tips about mouthwash:
– Mouthwash can reduce plaque buildup.
– Be careful not only to look for cosmetic mouthwashes but therapeutic ones as well. The best mouthwashes are ones that not only can freshen your breath, but also fight bacteria, tooth decay, and gum disease. Always look for products that have the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
– Mouthwash can prevent tartar from forming. Tartar occurs when plaque hardens around the teeth. Tartar buildup can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
– Mouthwash can fight halitosis (harmful bacteria that causes bad breath) and can freshen your breath.
– Mouthwash helps prevent and fight the effects of tooth decay.
– Depending on the ingredients, some mouthwashes can even brighten teeth.
An oft-forgotten oral hygiene tool at your disposal, mouthwash can reach places that brushing and flossing alone may miss. For more helpful hygienic habits, please schedule an oral exam and professional cleaning with Advantage Dentists. For more detailed services, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Sula. We can be reached via phone at 281-829-5000, or by stopping by at our location in Katy, Texas. We look forward to speaking with you soon!